The thought of elective surgery for Fibromyalgia patients can be daunting; considering that surgery was often the onset for their developing Fibromyalgia in the first place.
- If an endotracheal tube is anticipated request a soft neck collar.
- Request that your arm with the intravenous line be kept near your body.
- Request an opioid or morphine related drug 90 minutes pre-operation to reduce central sensitization.
- Request a long-acting local anesthetic into the incision area. This minimizes pain impulses reaching the spinal column.
- Let the medical staff know that because you have Fibromyalgia you will need a longer than usual duration of post-operation pain medication.
- Expect a longer than usual recovery time from you surgery, including extra time for physical therapy.